Numerous conditions affecting health generally or around the eye can contribute to the surface of the eye becoming dry. These may benefit from specific treatment, either at the outset or if simple measures are insufficient to control symptoms.
Specific treatment strategies include:
- tear film supplementation
- treatment of eye surface and eyelid margin inflammation
- conservation of tears by restricting drainage
- surgery to correct eyelid malposition
- management of a general medical condition